Skip to main content

Historic City Hall

Until the 14th century, the city of Nuremberg had no city hall. Between 1332 and 1340, the Historical City Council Chamber was built, which is the oldest part of the structure. At the time it was complete, with its 40-meter length and 12-meter width, it was considered the largest secular room north of the Alps. The chamber was painted using designs from, and under the direction of, Albrecht Dürer. At that time, they were the largest wall and ceiling paintings in Europe and first surpassed by the Sistine Chapel, which was started ten years later. After World War II, not all parts of the historical chamber could be reconstructed and the paintings were unfortunately lost.

Although kings and emperors were welcomed in the historic City Council Chamber, it wasn't so festive down below. In the dungeons, those awaiting judgement were kept in absolute darkness and tortured. Today, one can visit the cells of the former dungeon during daily tours.

During the Christkindlesmarkt, it's festive in the historic City Council Chamber. That's where the Advent concerts of the Nuremberg Symphony take place. This special backdrop in combination with the music brings guests into the holiday spirit and provides a small oasis of peace in the pre-Christmas hustle and bustle.

Bratwursthäusle

Bratwursthäusle

Le Méridien Grand Hotel Nürnberg

Le Méridien Grand Hotel Nürnberg