Weather (Tiny) House
The weather app of earlier times
Almost everyone from Nuremberg has walked past, but very few take a closer look at the weather station located directly across from St. Lawrence Church. Yet a closer examination is worth your time.
It is a faithful reproduction, built in 1978. The original weather and clock house was built in 1878. Deep underneath the tiny house is one of the first Nuremberg transformer stations, which have supplied the Old Town with power since 1896. Then as now, the underground transformers can be reached by a small wooden door on the side of the weather house.
At the beginning of the 1950s, the weather house was moved as part of the reconstruction and reworking of traffic after World War II. Once the square in front of St. Lawrence was modified to make it part of the pedestrian zone at the end of the 1970s, it was decided to rebuild the weather house as part of the new design of the square. The reconstruction, which includes details such as ornamentation, the frieze, clock hands, golden compass rose and display window, is based on photographs from 1912-1938. Similar clock and weather houses stood at Plärrer and the main train station.
Today, visitors to the city walk unaware over 20,000 volts underground. This is because of the transformer station of N-Ergie, which – then and today – is located deep under the earth below the ventilation grill. Two transformers perform the role of transforming the electricity that comes from a substation into 400 volts, to supply the nearby homes and businesses with power.