Skip to main content
© StadtAN A44_C_6113_01 

The Essigbrätlein

The building itself has a long gastronomic history – it was already mentioned in 1550 as "des Senzenwirts am Weinmarkt Eckbehausung" (the inn keeper on the corner of the Wine Market). In the city records, it was listed in 1596 as "Fässla" (a keg), then as "Hofmann auf dem Weinmarkt" before appearing in 1648 with the name "Essigbrätlein", an indication that sauerbraten was served there – supposedly a piece of meat fell into sour wine.