The Albrecht Dürer Monument is the first in Germany to honor an artist. Today, Albrecht Dürer still looks down at the Albrecht-Dürer-Platz from his pedestal above. In the 19th century, the bronze statue near the Dürer House became a place of pilgrimage for art lovers and respected artists of that time.
The cornerstone of the monument was laid in April 1828. On that day, a Dürer celebration took place in Nuremberg. Artists and academics from all over Germany came to Nuremberg to commemorate the 300th anniversary of Dürer’s death.
The monument was designed by Christian Rauch from Berlin and cast by Jacob Burgschmiet. Burgschmiet had an art foundry in Johannis, not far away from where the statue is located. The monument was festively dedicated in 1840 on the Milk Market (=today’s Albrecht-Dürer-Platz) and marked the beginning of many pleasant Dürer celebrations in the city.